St. Michael and All Angels’ is part of Green Congregations which participate in Midlands Greeen Congregations.
Program Overview: Green Team has been formed to provide better stewardship of God’s earth through recycling, reusing, growing and educating our faith community. A team leader coordinates with many dedicated volunteers. Church religious leaders actively participate as well… Priest, Deacon and Christian Education Coordinator
Focus areas: Recycling, composting, gardening, nature meditation and outdoor chapel activities.
1) Outdoor Chapel construction
2) Recycling: both at church and community. As a part of the Forest Acres Green Festival, we had 700 cars drop off recycling at our church with a partnership with Richland County Solid Waste Division.
3) Waste reduction: energy efficient lighting, eliminating food serving materials that cannot be recycled.
4) Building a compost bin and educating church community
5) Educating parishioners in sustainability of God’s earth.
We are currently working on building our greenhouse and adjacent herb garden. We are going to expand the size of our compost bin to accommodate compost for vegetables and flowering plants. Our outdoor chapel called Chapel for Refuge and Grace is being planned to be used by all our community groups for education and prayer. Our community recycling effort was successful and we wish to have an annual event. We hope to get more of the congregation involved in our Green Activities.
Please contact Bob Noé at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating in this ministry.